My Progress

Friday, October 1, 2010

I did it!

The headline is that I'm home and I'm banded. For the gory details... read on.

I went to bed nice and early on Tuesday night. No trouble sleeping so that's good. Woke up to the realization that I had started my period. Really? Nothing for 5 months then the day I'm supposed to have surgery it makes an appearance? Someone's idea of a joke? So that just added a fun dimension to the whole experience.

We got the hospital right on time and I was brought back to the pre-op holding area around 7:45. I was fortunate enough to be in a my own room as opposed to the large room with just curtains separating everyone. My husband was with me and was a trooper through the whole thing. Everyone coming in to ask questions, start the IV and whatnot. They took me into the OR a little before 9:30. As they wheeled me away I started to feel buzzed. I asked if they already gave me something and was told yes. Nice.

I clearly remember scooting myself over to the operating table, getting the pressure boots put on (like a massage on my legs... very nice) and an oxygen mask being pushed onto my face. The next thing I remember was being on the move again and someone telling me it was over. I remember asking if I did okay and was told yes. I then remember crying. I was so cold and shivering so much that it hurt. I don't remember when I opened my eyes again, it was some time later and I was in the recovery room.

Surprisingly I was not in much pain. I expected more pain. It really just felt like I had overdone it at the gym. I was just sore. And my throat hurt from the breathing tube. All I wanted was something to drink... but that wasn't going to happen.

I hung out in recovery for over 4 hours because my room wasn't ready yet. That was annoying. By the time I got up to my room I really just wanted to go to the bathroom and (sorry for the TMI) get out of the pad I'd been wearing since pre-op and switch to a tampon. Because the nurse didn't have a chance to evaluate me yet to see if I could stand up and go the bathroom by myself she was going to get me a bed pan. I said I'd hold it. She didn't want me to hold it. I cried and begged for just a little bit of dignity. This was not a good way for me to start off behaving, but I didn't really care at that point.

She got me up and it was clear I could do this on my own. So I got myself cleaned up and into my own undies thank goodness, then back to bed. Nurse Ashley and I made up after that.

My hubby went home around 6pm. He had to get home to take care of the cat who had his own hospital visit scheduled for Thursday morning. I didn't want him to go but the kitty needed him.

I was doing well. Not much pain still, hardly used the pain meds at all. Tired and sore. And thirsty. So ridiculously thirsty. My sister came to visit me (yeah, my mom told my sister) and I asked her to sneak me in some water so I could at least rinse my mouth. After she left they finally let me take tiny sips of water. Phew. Basically a shot of water every hour. But better than nothing!

I slept okay. Off and on, but mostly because people kept coming in to take vitals or give me shots of heparin.

Thursday morning I went down for a GI to make sure everything was in the right place. Yup... then I could move on to Stage 2... proteins shakes, broth and jello. Yum. No lie they brought me 3 trays over the course of the day. It was a little overwhelming. I did as much as I could and by 5pm they felt I was doing well enough on my intake to be discharged.

I'm not going to lie... the pain is much worse now. I think all the movement from getting home did a number on me. I couldn't handle the stairs to go to bed last night so I slept on the couch. I'm trying to get myself up and moving at least once an hour. I'm just taking Tylenol for the pain. I got the "good stuff" they prescribed me just in case, but I've never enjoyed taking Percocet so I will only take that if in dire straits. That said, the pain isn't unbearable. It just hurts when I switch positions. I don't even think I have much in the way of gas pain. This is me knocking on wood!

Well, there you have it. My adventure. I honestly don't feel any different inside. I feel like a truck ran over my gut, but it feels very superficial. I have 5 tiny incisions and 1 bigger one which I'm assuming is the port. They itch like hell right now. I desperately want to take a shower and scrub them off... but I will resist.

So that's the beginning of my little adventure. Tomorrow I have the pleasure of a family bday party. It's for my cousin and at my mom's house. If anyone asks, I've had a stomach bug for a few days and that's why I'm only eating soup and why I will likely go home early.

Thanks everyone for the well wishes!

6 comments:

  1. Congrats!!!! Get plenty of rest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you're doing pretty well. I had no gas pain at all, maybe you'll avoid it too.
    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! Hope you stay in little to no pain! (Heavy on the no pain part)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to the other side...feel better soon and take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations. I got banded yesterday so I can't wait to follow your progress as we move along. So exciting!

    Libby - http://thisonetimeinbandcamp.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so happy for you! I hope my surgery goes as well as yours!

    ReplyDelete