My Progress

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Minor Epiphany

This might seem like a no-brainer to a lot of you.  On the surface this little nugget of advice seems like common sense.  But I recently came to the realization that a credo I hold onto ("Just because it comes in your size, doesn't mean you should wear it.")  also works in reverse:

Just because you can wear it,
doesn't mean it's your size.

I started this journey over a year ago at 326 lbs.  I was wearing a size 24 pant from Lane Bryant rather comfortably then.  I currently weigh 274.5 and just recently got rid of my size 24's.  I had been wearing them this whole time.

I don't know what possessed me to think that the 24's still "fit".  I guess in my mind something doesn't fit only if I can't squeeze myself into it.  It really didn't dawn on me that something I could take on and off without unbuttoning, unzipping or otherwise unfastening was equally ill-fitting, and let's be honest... unflattering.

Yesterday I slipped into a pair of size 20 pants (Lane Bryant Houston trousers... my favorite) because it was the only clean thing I could wear to work without having to shave my legs.  Lo and behold, they went on and buttoned without any gut sucking or contortions.

And get this... they looked good.  I immediately noticed that I looked smaller.  Well, it stands to reason.  I have been hiding my 50lb loss behind the same pants I wore when I weighed 326lbs!  This became clear to me last night when someone who sees me on a very regular basis asked me if I'd lost weight.

Please tell me I'm not the only one to whom this notion came as a surprise.

5 comments:

  1. I hear you... I still wear pants that are too big claiming comfort but I have really been afraid to try on the others for fear of them not fitting. I am trying them on now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This is so true. I am careful to only wear clothing in my size or maybe one size larger because too big clothes really do not look good. I bet you hear a ton of compliments in your size 20's!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, I went through this same thing. My husband was so happy when I finally started wearing pants the correctly fit me. He said it made me a lot sexier!

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha this is funny as I have also realized this on my journey. Within the last year I bought size 14 work pants from old navy and because I was wearing the spanx tops to hold them up, I didn't really realize just how big they were. By the time I went to get new pants I was fitting into 10 lol. I guess the 14's were a bit big huh. lol

    Congrats on the smaller size!!!!!!! Don't forget to try on smaller sizes when you hit another 50 down!! =)

    Breanne
    www.ladylapband.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. you GO girl!!! ROCK your new size and shape!

    ReplyDelete